Monday, November 9, 2009

Puzzles Everywhere


From my previous entry, I described the annoyances and the educational experiences I have felt throughout the program. One aspect I forgot to mention is my detestation for attaining the proper interview!

One of the stories that I am currently working on has to do with Air Canada and it's financial situation during the economic recession...however, interviewing employees of travel agencies (one of the three sources I wish to use for supporting background information) is getting to be harder than I initially expected.

One of my previous goals that I set for myself was to focus less time on stories and more time focusing on getting my stories done (as per Ron). However effortless it was to research and come up with a perfect topic, the search for my needed sources was where my problems arose. Conducting my two first interviews was easy. The complications began when I needed information from a travel agent. I went to Flight Centre just to talk to an employee of the store, and before I could even ask for a name, I was given a number to simply call the employers' head office. I needed a good quote from a regular employee who dealt with flight bookings everday, and the grown man recommended I search elsewhere within the company. After two consequetive days with no luck, I lost hope and gave into contacting the media relations agent for Flight Centre.


I was so (I do not know the right word use here, but I'll try...) disgusted that I was unable to get an interview from a travel agent, and thought that this roadblock would cost me my entire story. Alas, I did end up getting a hold of a travel agent, and now I can continue my story with all the puzzle pieces.


Speaking of puzzle pieces, I feel that Journalism itself is one giant puzzle, which needs all the pieces together to make a meaningful picture and even when just one piece is missing, the puzzle cannot be completed. Alas, my puzzle will be complete.


...now, if only my other puzzle could be completed...

No comments:

Post a Comment