Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Frustration

When I went to Shauna to get this story vetted, I told her I was frustrated with this article. I felt like it was missing something. I had spent so much time, taking interviews, changing my focus, discarding interviews, getting different input, I felt like my head was spinning. My eventual concept was clean, and linear, but I felt like it lacked heart.

I am happy with the writing in this piece. But writing has never been the hard part for me. Again and again, I lack focus. I always come up with a story that takes on way more than I could deal with in 1000 words, then proceeds to only touch on some issues, as opposed to taking the time to really get in depth with one particular story. After speaking with Ron about this, I realized that this is what I felt was missing in the piece – any amount of depth. I seem to always be a “surface” writer. I should be writing stories about shopping, and puppies, and things that don’t really need deeper meaning, because that seems to be beyond my grasp. A ladies magazine, perhaps? I could write about the top five dishes to feed your man during the holidays, or something.

Okay, enough sarcasm. I love writing, and I have to accept that there are some challenges that I am facing. I believe Ron said something to the affect that if you aren’t struggling, you aren’t really learning anything. So, I can face the fact that I have a lot of work ahead of me as I continue to improve. It’s okay that I have to improve. I mean, you never stop improving unless you’re dead, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment