Friday, November 20, 2009

How can one spell Frustrated four times?


Besides Carolina's success in writing a proper article, I seem to be having some hardships with writing proper articles. My previous posts pointed towards a sensibility of "simple is always better" except when it involves me.

I wrote an article for Shauna's class on Air Canada and their third quarter results (as I am in the Business beat, and assumed this is what the business beat wanted of me);I included three proper sources with all the same opinions about the airline: because of Air Canada's new 7 per cent commission paid to Canadian travel agents for selling Tango based fares, and their new policies on capacity management (meaning, selling off more tango based fares as opposed to other fuller fares), the company was seeing a "profit" except more and more passengers were flying on tango fares, which in theory should lead to a decrease in Air Profit. The only reason they showed a "positive increase" was because of the rising currency exchange rate, and the lowering cost of fuel... this, my dear readers, meant that Air Canada had not seen any kind of profit, besides the profit they did not see coming.

But after all this research and the hardwork, the late nights and the many cups of coffee, my article was not good enough and needed to be "revised" (as per Shauna). This, even though I enjoy criticism (in small quantities), was not something I wanted to hear.

After receiving a beat that I had no intention of writing, I was not too thrilled: throughout the class, I have been trying my best to come up with interesting topics, and trying my best to write proper pieces even without the proper instruction of how to write proper articles. When Shauna gave me criticism for the first time, it was quite a major blow to my ego. I know that I am a good writer, even though I devote too much time and effort to a story... and I understand that I spend way too long on a story to have it be perfect and without faults and that I should change my habits. But old habits die hard.

Relating to my Air Canada story, I remember for the first time since I started this semester that I did not want to put too much "effort" into it, even though I was stressed beyond belief that it wouldn't fair too well with Shauna.

After coming up with a focus I believed would be good enough for her, and writing the entire story under an influence of "don't-put-too-much-hard-work-in-it", Shauna hated it. I was insulted, angered, saddened, on the brink of a major melt-down and fully wanting to drop out. I could not understand why I was having so many troubles in writing my pieces, even though everyone else seemed to be spitting out story after story for the Journal and spending as little time as possible on each one. I was (and still am!) frustrated that I have to put so much care and effort, and have to devote so much of my precious time into each of my stories just to have it make the grade while everyone else seems to be working out just fine.

I don't really know what else to say here, but I ended up rewriting my entire Air Canada story with the help of a little Vodka and some Chambord, and I think the piece is actually alot better than what I had originally written. I still have yet to discover what I can learn from this experience, but I'm sure when I am writing my last two articles, I will look back at my traumatic experience and remember that, though I should develop stories quickly, that I should never deny myself my own perfection... if that makes any sense.

On to story four...

No comments:

Post a Comment