Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Hitting wall after wall, and not the good kind

This week has been crazy hard, I feel a little bit shattered. You know when you are just so off your game, you have no idea what you are actually about anymore? That is me right now.

Both stories I'm working on for Ron's class have hit their respective snafus. The story I want to do on the Berlin Wall - and I am super keen to do this - seems to be hitting problem after problem. Largely in that no one will get back to me. I still have some feelers out, and haven't given up entirely (Carolina, I still want to speak with your dad), but it certainly takes a lot of the enjoyment out of the prospect of writing this piece.

The positive side: I found a Calgary local who has a doctorate in German history, who is on sabbatical in Germany right now. She is my story! She couldn't be more perfect.

The negative side: She is in Germany.

The other story, I'm running into not just passive not-calling-me-back-ness, but outright hostility. I want to interview the woman who teaches reiki at Mount Royal, and the program chair has refused to give me her contact information for privacy reasons. Ron thinks this is bullshit, but when I questioned her on it, she got pretty darn testy. Has anyone else encountered this?

I also found out that you can't just go to a class, and write about your experience there. It goes against the freedom to teach. In order for me to learn Reiki, then write a story about it, I need to get permissions from people who seem all too keen on denying me. Harrumph - it's just been a day. Maybe someone will call me back tomorrow, or the most perfect source will fall from the sky ...

1 comment:

  1. Oh god, it seems like you've hit the one thing I would detest most of all when trying to write a story!

    This goes back to me mentioning in my first post how discouraged I would feel if someone didn't call me back, or flat out disregard me... I congratulate your persistence though, Lauren!

    Do you think it would be a wise decision to have Ron contact this Reiki woman? I understand that it is definitely something you should conquor on your own, but perhaps a little "push in the right direction" (aka. break the program chair's legs) will convince her to give you the correct contact information, haha.

    I joke, I joke.

    I'm sure it will get better though. If all else fails, join the class with no intention of writing a story on it, then behind everyone's back, write the story... maybe even have a voice recorder in your pocket at all times....

    Am I a bad influence?

    ReplyDelete