Thursday, October 1, 2009

Method Reporting?



I finally had an idea for Ron's class, one that would really interest me. I'd like to do a piece on Reiki healing, what that is all about. I find the hardest part for me in regards to reporting, is finding the angle. I'm great at coming up with story ideas, and I can find people to talk to about it, but then the question is: what next? I'm not sure exactly what my angle should be. Do you gather information before talking to people, or do you talk to people, then discover what angle you want to take afterwards? Or is this like a chicken or egg thing?

The other thing is, how far can you go while researching a story? Mount Royal offers one-day classes in Reiki, something that I would totally do. Could I sign up for a class, and make this part of my story? Or would that affect my perspective too much? Or does it even matter - can't I make up my perspective as I'm going? I feel like I have too many questions, not enough answers right now.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, my feelings are EXACTLY like this! I am having the hardest time finding my ANGLES for the stories I want to develop, and I feel like I am getting NOWHERE because I have good ideas, but the focus and angle get in the way. Then I shut down, and that is not good.

    I would also like to know whether you ask questions first, or if you're supposed to know your angle before asking questions?? I wish someone could just sit us down for one class and explain all these journalistic inquiries!

    ... I don't think that will happen though..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reiki sounds like a cool subject =]
    My mum is just getting into it and loves it!
    You would probably have some interesting people to interview too!!
    The free magazines/newspapers that you can get from the Community Store (by the Chinook c-train station) or most health shops often advertise reiki healers etc.

    ReplyDelete