Thursday, October 8, 2009

Roll On With The Show


In the process of working on my said story idea (see post below), I came up with a better topic to focus on for the Calgary Journal. It is definitely a more time-sensitive piece, which is more of my reason for choosing it: I wish to focus on how the recession is affecting Halloween sales in 2009. I have already set out for a few sources, which have all been quite helpful to me as of right now.

Yesterday, I scurried my way over to a store called Chuckles in the Southwest. It's a store that not only sells Halloween supplies, but also Halloween costumes and all sorts of accessories, namely specializing in gruesome versions of dead babies and severed hands. I spoke to the Manager of the store to get some insight on how the recession has affected her business during the Halloween season. You will have to wait to hear the conclusion...

Close in proximity to Chuckles was Value Village, so after treking my way through wind and sleat, I spoke with the manager of the fine establishment who also had some insightful things to say regarding the recession and the affect it has had on his sales.... more of this later.

All in all, I am still awaiting an email response from Walmart Canada regarding their 2009 Halloween trends and an email from the owner of Twigs on Stephen Avenue, who I was unable to meet personally as he is rarely on sight and constantly busy.

My next story for Ron's class will perhaps be a travel piece on Paris, France, as I plan on spending a weekend in Paris sometime this month. I will most likely take alot of photos during my short stint there, and hopefully get some sources to speak about Paris's Hotspots... and I'm not just talking about the Louvre.

I think I would be what they call "on-a-roll"? Ha! Not quite...

No comments:

Post a Comment